1. Leaving your garage door open or unlocked. Always close and lock the garage door. Consider getting a garage-door opener with random codes that automatically reset.
2. Hiding spare keys. Give a spare set to a neighbor or family member.
3 Storing ladders outdoors or in unlocked sheds. Keep ladders under lock and key.
4. Relying on silent alarm systems. Have both silent and audible alarms.
5. Letting landscaping get overgrown. Trim any bushes and trees around your home.
6. Keeping your house in the dark. Replace burned out bulbs promptly, add lighting where needed, and consider putting fixtures on motion sensors or light sensors so that they go on automatically.
7. Not securing sliding doors. When you’re out, put a dowel down in the channel, so that the door can’t be opened wide enough for a person to get through.
8. Relying on your dog to scare away burglars. Make your home look occupied by using timers to turn lights, radios, and TVs on and off in random patterns.
9. Leaving “goody” boxes by the curb.Break down big boxes into small pieces and bundle them together so that you can’t tell what was inside.
10. Posting vacation photos on Facebook.Wait until you get back before sharing vacation details or make sure your security settings only allow trusted “friends” to see what you’re up to.